Is this what you expected to find at the URL you just clicked?
Domain Doppelganger (aka Lookalike domains) are URLs that look similar to a trusted URL, but have subtle differences. Doppelganger domains are used to trick users into visiting a malicious website or clicking on an untrustworthy link simply by changing a few key characters in the domain name.
- Did the URL you clicked replace an O with a 0 (zero)?
- Is there a special character, like a . or a – missing?
- Is there a 1 instead of a lowercase-L?
These can be very tricky to spot, but they’re almost always malicious!
- Best Option Don’t click that link! Go to the website directly for by typing it in rather than click the link!
- Always hover over the URL before clicking, and inspect closely!
- Use Email Tagging to help identify legitimate emails
- Set your mail servers to require SPF and DMARC (not 100% effective)
This is a very low-tech attack that anyone can use to trick you into going to a malicious website. All it takes is a cheap domain name and a web host!